Share with your networks:
Tell others about this initiative. Email your friends, family, co-workers … anyone within your network! But, what do you say? Here’s a quick template to use. Just copy, paste and send.
The Super Bowl is coming in February and there’s some startling information about it that I would like to share with you.
There are 29 million human trafficking victims (i.e. modern-day slaves) in the world today – more now than ever before in history. One of the most brutal forms of modern-day slavery is sex-trafficking and there are thousands of victims to this dark industry right on our own soil. It’s strange to think that modern day slavery exists, and even more so that big sporting events can be a catalyst for increased incidences of trafficking.
I would like to ask you to participate with me in the Halftime Challenge, which is a social media campaign that will take place leading up to and on the day of the Super Bowl. The aim of the campaign is educate the public and spread the message of abolishing modern day slavery with the hope stop this vile crime before it starts. Please check out the Half-Time Challenge website, specifically the “Game Plan” Tab, and let me know if you will participate. (*Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott, UN)
Please see www.halftimechallenge.net for more information, tweets, images and resources.
Thank you, Your Name
To Request a Speaker:
You can invite a Coalition member to share at your event. Interested? Email the Coalition to request a speaker.
Statistics and Quotes to Tweet:
We’ve separated sample statistics and quotes into two categories based on twitter’s 140-character limit. This is the list that fits Twitter. Sources are offered with most, but not included in the 140-character limit for tweets. Remember to include hashtags!
- Forget politics for a moment. Let’s get worked up over this: #SLAVERY STILL EXISTS and IT MUST END. #halftimechallenge http://www.HTChallenge.net
- “There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” Wiesel #HTchallenge
- Human trafficking involves the most vulnerable populations in forced prostitution, forced labor, and domestic servitude. #halftimechallenge (Source)
- In 2016 570 “johns” and 23 pimps were arrested surrounding #SuperBowl. 83 #sextrafficking victims recovered. #HalfTimeChallenge
- “Never forget that justice is what love looks like in public.” -Cornel West | Promote justice. End #humantrafficking. #HTchallenge
- Here are 5 easy things YOU can do to fight #humantrafficking: https://justice-network.org/2013/10/01/5-things-you-can-do/ #HTChallenge #HalfTimeChallenge
- Only 1% of
#ChildTrafficking victims find freedom. More escape by death than by rescue. #HalfTimeChallenge
- “In a gentle way you can shake the world.” -Ghandi #endslavery #HalfTimeChallenge
- 41% of sex trafficking cases & 20% of labor trafficking cases referenced US citizens as victims. #halftimechallenge (Source) #SuperBowl
- “Nobody makes a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little.” -Edmund Burke #HTchallenge
- The average age of entry into prostitution for a child victim in the United States is 13-14 years old. #HTchallenge (U.S. Department of Justice)
- “1 out of every 5 pornographic images is of a child; & 55% of child pornography comes from the U.S.” (FBI). #HTchallenge
- USA kids are NOT for Sale! Congress, please take the #HTchallenge & join the fight to end #humantrafficking!
- “Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are.” – Benjamin Franklin #HTchallenge
- Take the #HTchallenge today by telling someone these HT victim warning signs! http://www.polarisproject.org/human-trafficking/recognizing-the-signs.
- About 18,000 people are trafficked to the U.S. each year, according to the State Department. #HTchallenge #SuperBowl (Source)
- Visit njhumantrafficking.org 2learn how 2B part of Today’s #Halftime Challenge!
- Trafficking isn’t about smuggling; it’s about exploitation! #EndTrafficking & join our #HTchallenge by talking about trafficking 2day!
- FBI states trafficking women/kids for sex exploitation = Fastest Growing Criminal Enterprise in world. #Enditnow #HTchallenge
- “How wonderful that no one need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world.” -Anne Frank #HTchallenge
- In 2015 the #HTChallenge reached over 750K people. What is it? Learn more: http://www.HTChallenge.net
- “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” -Edmund Burke | Stop human trafficking! #HTchallenge
- “You may choose to look the other way but you can never say again that you did not know.” – William Wilberforce #HTchallenge
- Don’t want the #HTchallenge to end? To request a trainer or speaker about Human Trafficking, contact:email@example.com.
Longer Quotes for Facebook and Other Outlets
The following quotes exceed twitter’s 140-character limit, but are informative and perfect for other social media outlets like facebook, G+ and instagram. Again — don’t forget the hashtags!
“Set the captives free!” – Take the #HTChallenge & tell your friend or neighbor about Human Trafficking. Talking points here:http://sharedhope.org/learn/faqs/ #HTchallenge #SuperBowl
- The #SuperBowl attracts tens of thousands of fans to the host city, and millions of television viewers, making it the most watched broadcast each year. But it also attracts a sector of violence, organized criminal activity that operates in plain sight without notice. Know the facts about #humantrafficking. Visit http://www.HTChallenge.net. #HTChallenge #HalfTimeChallenge
“We are not to simply bandage the wounds of victims beneath the wheels of injustice; we are to drive a spoke into the wheel itself.” —Dietrich Bonhoeffer #HTchallenge
In 2016 a Super Bowl Sex Trafficking Sting netted 570 “johns” (would-be sex buyers) and 23 pimps. This operation involved 17 states and recovered 83 sex trafficking victims. (Source) #EndDemand #EndSlavery
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” — Elie Wiesel #HTchallenge
- “We may feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean. But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop.” — Mother Teresa #HTchallenge
- “It ought to concern every person, because it is a debasement of our common humanity. It ought to concern every community, because it tears at our social fabric. It ought to concern every business, because it distorts markets. It ought to concern every nation, because it endangers public health and fuels violence and organized crime. I’m talking about the injustice, the outrage, of human trafficking, which must be called by its true name – modern slavery.” — President Barack Obama #HTchallenge #SuperBowl
- Human Trafficking is a form of modern day slavery. It is a rapidly growing criminal industry second only to drug dealing and equal in scope to arms dealing. Human Trafficking involves the use of force, fraud and/or coercion for the purpose of sexual exploitation or forced labor. Contrary to popular belief under federal and state law, Human Trafficking does not require movement of people across borders. –NJ Coalition Against HT #HTchallenge